Sunday, February 6, 2011

Football Season and Photography.

On this super bowl Sunday instead of watching the big game, I finished up my photography homework and re watched Gilmore Girls. I used to make wings of fire or hot wings with my grandfather, and get the living room all ready for the big game. I used to talk stats and players and pretend to understand how the game really worked and get my seat next to him on the couch with the knowledge that I had till after halftime to watch the game. This was my special time with my grandfather. I was the first born grandchild and the oldest by 7 1/2 years and I got the priced spot on the couch, and I got to spend my days with him. My mother would sit with us and correct papers or finish up the laundry and complain, good heartily about the fact she was missing a murder show for this silly game. I look back on this special time with smiles and laughter.
My grandfather passed away 3 1/2 almost 4 years ago and I have yet to watch the super bowl. I've watched pregames at boarding school on nights I had nothing else to do, but once the super bowl came I started to watch it then left, returning only for the halftime show. It was just not the same with out my grandfather to watch with me. It felt wrong in a way to watch our show without him.
So instead of joining in on the festivities I made pasta and got into bed and fine tuned my photography homework and lightly edited my photographs thinking that maybe one year I'll get the courage to watch that one sporting event next year.
But until then I will just continue doing what i do best: Photography.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that first picture! It looks as though it belongs in one of those old LIFE magazines from the 1940s or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love the angle of the 3rd
    and the winter whiteness of the
    buildings and landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed him too yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete