Sunday, January 16, 2011

This week I turn 19. :)

This Friday, the 21, I turn 19. :) It is my very last year as a teenager, and I must say it is a bit scary to leave my childhood behind me and embrace the 'grown up' world. Its also very exciting that for this birthday I am (still) home from college, I wouldn't of wanted to be away from home on this very exciting birthday, I was at boarding school for my 16th birthday[but that is a totally different post for another day]. Its also incredibly wonderful that my grandmother will be there for this birthday, for this time last year we were not sure how long she would be around.

I'm sad to say looking back my favorite birthday was my 12th birthday. It was the very last birthday that my great grandmother and my grandfather were both alive for, my grandpa lived till my 15th birthday. Those two people growing up were my best friend and my father figure, and to this day I know that they had a big part in helping me grow into the person who I am now.

My great grandmother, Rose, taught me the importance of embracing my creativity and imagination. I played my younger years away with her while imagining I was living in 1913 or I was 25 and going out to dinner with an old friend. I lived my entire youth waiting for 11 am and on school days my Fridays, so that I could go to my second house, conveniently place behind my home to see my very best friend.

My grandfather, John, was the only father figure that I had growing up. I didn't grow up in a traditional home and my father was my grandfather. He used to be the only one at times who could put me to sleep when I wouldn't for my mother, his belly was my favorite place to sleep.  He came to all my sporting events, took me to friends houses, sat through movies with me, took me to the Fryburg fair, and spent time with me. He was an amazing person, and showed me how a man should treat me.

These two people, and along with my mother and grandmother have helped make me me. And I am so very thankful that I was lucky enough to live these past 19 years with them behind me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment